Chip Kidd's Batman: Death By Design

A while ago I previewed a few process pages by artist Dave Taylor of his work on the soon to be published graphic novel, Batman: Death By Design, written by acclaimed graphic designer and novelist Chip Kidd. Recently DC has been showing a few more of the pages.

The graphic novel takes an Elseworlds approach to the Batman and shows a Gotham City influenced as much by the architecture and old Hollywood style as it is by the dark and violent characters that stalk its streets. Kidd describes his approach to the book as such:
 I mean to me I couldn’t think of any other choice to make. It was a style that I really, really wanted to see. I’d like to think it’s unapologetically beautiful and glamorous and also noir; it’s like the great old black-and-white Batman movie that never got made. I wanted it to very much have that feel to it; the feel of the newsroom, the light coming through the blinds, but also the nighttime glamor of Gotham City. The Joker appearing in the middle of it all. These are not new ideas, but I think the way that we’re portraying them gives it, frankly, a sort of “old freshness.”

You can read more of what Kidd has to say about Batman: Death By Design by clicking this LINK. 


Comments