Ben Affleck comments on being Batman and working on Batman V Superman

There has been a lot of reaction and commenting on Ben Affleck playing Batman in Warner Bros. Batman v. Superman movie and the Justice League follow up for it. At SDCC we got our first good look of him in the video clip that was previewed, showing a heavily influenced Frank Miller- Dark Knight Returns look and approach to the character. 

EW.com interviewed Affleck following his appearance at SDCC and he addressed the reaction to his casting:
I’m in the middle of shooting now. It’s a process that I’ll probably have better perspective on when I’m done. I can tell you that every time I do a role, it’s the responsibility of an actor to get their physical self as close to the role as possible. And Batman’s obviously got a set of expectations that are tough. So I spent a lot of time working out. And it’s a far cry from Gone Girl where my character is described as “puffy and hungover.” I want you to know I worked equally hard at both! [laughs]
I wouldn’t have taken the part if I didn’t trust my instincts in terms of the filmmaking. I think Chris Terrio wrote a terrific script. Zack’s a great visual director. And there’s an interesting take. I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t think I could do it. I have the benefit of a lot of that understanding. But also, everyone is entitled to their opinion. 
You know what? It’s great that people do care that much. They want to see the movie that much. And it is incumbent on you to honor the story. There are the Greek myths and these are the American myths. The American myths are these superheroes. People care about ‘em a lot. And it’s incumbent on you to do a good job and make it as excellent as you possibly can. At the end of the day, the movie’s all that matters. "

Photo from the set of Batman v. Superman, Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman


Comments