Official! Ed Brubaker leaving Captain America!

The rumors have turned out to be true. Writer Ed Brubaker has announced that after an almost 8 year run and a few Eisner Award nominations, he is planning on leaving the Captain America series and will focus more on his creator owned books. He broke the news in a long interview with comics blogger Tom Spurgeon. He did state that he is staying on his other Marvel book, Winter Soldier, for the duration.

From Brubaker:
"It was less of a decision and more just following my instincts, trying to make sure I'm only writing things I really want to write. I used to have a lot of ideas for superhero stories, and they scratched a real old-fashioned pulp writer itch for a long time. But the past few years, I've wanted more and more to just focus on my own projects, and most of my ideas have been for new things, or things outside comics. I remember just sitting there with my Cap notebook, trying to figure out what to do after the next arc was finished, and suddenly I just was like, "I think I'm done here" and it was this huge relief. I talked to Dan Buckley at Marvel, and told him what I was thinking, and he was really supportive of me, really great about it. I mean, I know I'm still going to be doing the Winter Soldier for a while, potentially a long while, but this feels like a major change, anyway."
In the lengthy interview Bru hits on a lot of other subjects such as the Before Watchmen controversy, the Jack Kirby lawsuits and his take on the comics market. 

You can read the full interview with Ed Brubaker HERE.


Comments